Thursday, July 21, 2011

Introducing Ben Warren

I've been trying for a week now to get this posted. So, now that I am behind check out the blog regularly as I will be getting caught up on photos of our new addition!

Ben Warren Bergman-

Born on 7/14/2011, weighing 8lbs and measuring 20 inch

There are times in life when you want everything to slow down so you can just soak the moment in, moments such as our very first glimpse of our newborn, holding his hand for the first time or cuddling in bed with both boys on our first morning home from the hospital.

Ben’s delivery, however, was a different story. The labor seemed to be progressing at a snail pace. First contractions began at 1am on Wednesday morning and by 4pm that day they were getting closer and stronger, 2-8 minutes apart, so I made the decision to head to the hospital excited that today was going to be the day. But after walking the hospital for two hours without any change in dilation I was sent home a frustrated momma. That night the contractions continued about 10 minutes apart. I spent the night wide-awake praying for little Ben. The following morning the contractions became more painful, but were still irregular in duration. Not wanting to go to the hospital to only be sent home again I finally called my doctor around 11am to see if she could check my progress. Much to our surprise I was 6cm dilated and was told to head to the hospital right away. We made it the hospital by noon and was getting settled into the delivery room and waiting for an epidural to be placed. Finally the anesthesiologist arrived. The epidural caused my blood pressure to drop and needed some adjustment. While making the adjustments in dosing it became apparent that only my right side felt any numbing and within several minutes I could once again feel every contraction again. Before any further adjustments could be made I felt the overwhelming urge to start pushing. There was no time to think and before I knew it the room was filled with ten or more nurses, docs, and residents trying to get things ready as Ben was not going to delay his arrival a minute more. About 12 pushes later Ben entered the world amid screams from momma and cheers from everyone else. He was/is beautiful. Words cannot describe how I felt those first few moments…exhaustion, elation, relief, and pure and absolute joy to be holding this new little life in my arms.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome baby Ben. Can't wait to meet you sweet boy. LOVE the top picture of him sleeping.

    ReplyDelete